Gambling in Canada has experienced a boom period in recent years. Some form of gambling is available in each of the ten provinces (British Columbia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec, Ontario, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick) and three territories (Yukon, Northwest Territory, and Nunavut). More information about Canadian online gambling laws and regulations you can find here.
Legal Age to Gamble in Canada
The legal age to gamble varies throughout the provinces. For example, the required age to gamble in a casino is 18 in Quebec, while it is 19 in Ontario. For lottery and scratch tickets, the standard legal age is 18. Regardless of the slight differences, the legal age to gamble in Canada is uniformly lower than in the United States.
Gaming in Canada operates entirely under the authority of the provincial and territorial governments. Charities, First Nations (Indian tribes) and private groups must all follow the guidelines set out by the government.
The following list should provide you with a basic idea of what types of gambling are available in the various provinces or territories in Canada:
- Alberta: casinos, lottery, and horse track racing. Charitable groups are licensed by the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission. Alberta has more gambling per capita than any other location in the
- British Columbia: casinos, lottery, horse tracks and horse track racing. Casinos are privately operated at the permission of the government, but the province receives 10% of the net gaming revenue from a community casino and one-sixth from a destination casino. They have also allowed bingo halls to begin adding slot machines.
- Manitoba: casinos, lottery and horse track racing.
- New Brunswick: horse racing and lottery.
- Newfoundland and Labrador: horse racing and lottery.
- Nova Scotia: casinos, lottery, and horse tracks.
- Ontario: casinos, lottery, horse tracks and horse track racings.
- Prince Edward Island: horse track racing and lottery.
- Quebec: casinos, lottery, and horse track racings.
- Saskatchewan: casinos, lottery, horse tracks and horse track racing.
- Yukon Territory: casino (non-profit) and lottery.
- Northwest Territories: lottery.
- Nunavut Territory: lottery.
Have you got a blog? Not yet? Click here to register one for Free!